Page created: 30th March 1997|
Last updated: 29th June 2017
The FAME is site devoted to systematic and scientific study of flags and coats of arms. Such symbols often bear strong political and other messages. Inclusion of those symbols here does not mean that the author support or approve the ideas they may stand for.
About the FAME
About the Author
Please, see on the HGZD site.
About these Pages
These pages are devoted to flags and coats of arms that were and are used in some countries of Central and Southeastern Europe in XIX and XX century. These pages are result of 20 years of systematic and scientific research of those symbols, using all to me available sources limited only with time and resources that I can devote to them.
The purpose of these pages is not to present all those, well known, flags and coat of arms of countries that are easily found in general literature and other Web pages. Therefore, on these pages you may find historical flags and coat of arms, flags of administrative divisions, political parties, unofficial flags and proposals and even some flags of "doubtful" authenticy that are to be found in sources or otherwise known in public.
I began with the flags and coats of arms that I was most familiar with - those of the countries in the region I live in. Until now the topics of this presentation covered to various extent over five countries in my neighbourhood, with different level of in-depth study. However, in some segments these pages are the first publication of the often obscure material and they became a kind of authority for local flags of Croatia, Slovenia and Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Since in this region the coat of arms are as a rule part of the flag design, or are at least used as basis for the design, it is not possible to study flags without looking into their corresponding coats of arms. Therefore, the coats of arms are virtually processed in equal level of details, even if that was not my first intention - that is the job for a herladists not a vexillologist. But, of course, vexillology is still a young study, related to heraldry and it is no doubt that the two shall stay interlinked for ever.
Of course, there are still many flags that are missing - these pages are still after 20 years always "under construction" and are constantly updated with new data, new information and findings. Many missing flags are missing either because it is not known if they are adopted as yet and what they look like, or because I miss firm information to be able to present a decent image. It is, as a rule, difficult to obtain information on details of the coats of arms that are part of design of many flags, and it is even more difficult to trace the primary sources - official gazettes and similar documents adopting flags and coats of arms or regulating their use.
If you have more information, or better if you have an image of any flag that you think it should be included here, I kindly ask you to contact me. Naturally, all corrections, proposals and other comments are welcome.
Finally, the flags can be presented in many ways: by description, by symbolic, by the story of their origin etc. but I decided to present them mainly with images. I tried to include as much as possible information on documents adopting and regulating the use of the flags and coats of arms. I try to provide quotes from regulations prescribing their design. Wherever it was possible, I included information such as ratios, dates, short historical notes and flag usage symbols. According to the available data I tried to explain the reasons behind the symbolic, eventual legends or stories that explain why some design was chosen, and that sometimes represent the most interesting part of these pages - at least in my opinion. Again, I should stress that such information is not acquired easily, and I welcome any further input from you.
Ah, yes, what do I mean when I say "Modern Era"? It is quite a fuzzy term and quite relative also, but by it I count all those flags and coats of arms that are used after around AD 1848. The year that is otherwise quite remarkable in European history and also the year in which are born many of the modern national flags. But, of course, saying that does not mean that I shall ignore any older flag, especially if the inclusion of such is justified for reasons.
Disclaimer and Copyright
Even if the author gives his best to present the material on this pages as accurate as possible, he renounces any responsibility for damage, direct or indirect, that would be caused by inaccuracies or otherwise information from these pages.
The flags and the coats of arms can express certain political and/or other ideas. Displaying of flags and coats of arms on these pages does no mean that the author agrees or disagrees with such ideas.
The counties, cities and communities in the Republic of Croatia by their decision on adoption and use of the coats of arms and flags limit the use of these symbols only after obtaining an explicit written permission.
However, most of the units of local government and self-government by the same decisions explicitly allow the free use of the symbols in the educational and scientific purposes and in the artistic creation, under condition that such use does not offend the dignity and honour of the local unit.
The author of these pages considers that the depiction of the coats of arms and the flags here meets the conditions of free use in that sense.
Material presented on these pages can be used, if:
Notes on Orthography
I have tried my best to represent here the names of states and their subdivisions as accurate as possible. This was quite a nuisance when these pages were started back in 1996. Although the internet standards nowadays cover the issue, the update of the orthography is made gradually.
Although the author gives his best to present the same data in both languages, the basic version is considered the version in English.
If the data doesn't match, please, inform me about that.
The sources for each particular entry are given next to it, especially the legal sources and local publications I have consulted. Here is listed the general literature appearing more frequently. Ever more often these are becomming available digitized on-line. I provid link, if known to me. Occasionally I provide a short explanation of the source contents in [brackets].
Books, articles in scientific journals etc.
A full review of heraldric bibliography in Croatian and Bosnia and Herzegovina see in:
- Acović, Dragomir: Хералдика и Срби [Heraldika i Srbi], Zavod za udžbenike, Beograd, 2008. [encyclopaedic work on heraldry of Serbs through history]
- Baumgartner, Lothar: Die Entwicklung der österreichischen Marineflagge, Militaria Austriaca, Gesellschaft für Österreichische Heereskunde, Wien, 1977. [on the development of the Austrian maritime flags - maritime flags on Adriatic]
- Baumgartner, Lothar: Zur Problematik der ungarischen Nationalflagge nach dem Ausgleich (1867-1915), Militaria Austriaca, VIII. Internationaler Kongress für Vexillologie Sonderdruck, Gesellschaft für Österreichische Heereskunde, Wien, 1979, pp. 5-12. [on Austrian and Hungarian flags on Adriatic, inc. administrations in Croatian harbours]
- Borošak Marijanović, Jelena: Zastave kroz stoljeća - Zbirka zastava i zastavnih vrpca Hrvatskog povijesnog muzeja, Hrvatski povijesni muzej, Zagreb, 1996. [catalogue of the Croatan History Museum flag collection]
- Borošak Marijanović, Jelena: Flags trough the centuries - Catalogue of Museum Collection, Flags and Flag Streamers of the Croatian History Museum, Hrvatski povijesni muzej, Zagreb, 1996. [Englsh version of the catalogue]
- Čimbur, Pero: Natjecanje za grb, Školska knjiga, Zagreb, 1985. [on author's designs of coats of arms in 1970' and 1980' in Yugoslavia]
- Čimbur, Pero: Stjegonoša među zastavama, Školska knjiga, Zagreb, 1989. [a story fr youth, on flags of the world, with some particular period flags from Yugoslavia]
- Diem, Peter: Die Symbole Österreichs, Wien, 1995. http://oktogon.at/buchtext.htm [encyclopaedic work on Austrian symbols, incl. historical coats of arms and flags of Croatian lands] see also http://peter-diem.at/
- Ernečić, Dražen: Grbovi i zastave Koprivničko-križevačke županije (izložba uz desetu obljetnicu Županije, Muzej grada Koprivnice, 14. travnja - 14. svibnja 2003.), Muzej grada Koprivnice, Koprivnica, 2003. [booklet from the exhibition in the Koprivnica and Križevci County]
- Gogala, Roger: Tisočletna govorica zastav, Ljubljana, Forum 7, 2002. [on various Slovenian flags]
- Grakalić, Marijan: Hrvatski grb - Grbovi hrvatskih zemalja, Zagreb, 1990. [on history of Croatian coat(s) of arms]
- Grakalić, Marijan: Grbovi hrvatskih gradova u Istri (Pazin - Pula - Motovun - Rovinj), Hrvatski iseljenički zbornik, 1992, 88-92.
- Hawlina, Peter: Kranjska in zamorc s krono, Drevesa, letnik 5, št. 1,2, maj 1998, Slovensko rodoslovno društvo, pp. 18-27. http://hdl.handle.net/11686/9032 [on some local coats of arms in Slovenia and wider]
- Heimer, Željko: The Croatian County Flags, XX International Congress of Vexillology, Stockholm 2003. https://www.academia.edu/27474947/The_Croatian_County_Flags_ICV20_Stockholm_2003 [on county flags in Croatia]
- Heimer, Željko: The Flags of Zagreb, XXII International Congress of Vexillology, FlagBerlin 2007. https://www.academia.edu/27920568/The_Flags_of_Zagreb_ICV22_Berlin_2007 [on development of the flag of Zagreb and its previous components]
- Heimer, Željko: Grb i zastava Republike Hrvatske, Leykam International, Zagreb, 2008. [on the coat of arms and the flag of Croatia]
- Heimer, Željko: Grbovi i zastave Grada Zagreba, Leykam International, Zagreb, 2009. [on development of the flag of Zagreb and its previous components]
- more papers by Ž. Heimer available https://ffzg.academia.edu/ŽeljkoHeimer
- full bibliography at http://hgzd.hr/vodstvo/zeljko-heimer/
- Isaić, Vladimir: Pomorski običaji i tradicije, Adamić, Rijeka, 2001. [maritime history, incl. house flags on eastern Adriatic]
- Jareb, Mario: Hrvatski nacionalni simboli, Alfa i Hrvatski institut za povijest, Zagreb, 2010.
- Kobel, Ludwig; Pirchegger, Hans: Steirische Ortswappen einschliesslich jener der ehemaligen Untersteiermark, Graz, 1954. [on coats of arms of Styria, incl. part of Slovenia]
- Laszowski, Emilij: Prilog k hrvatskoj sfragistici, Viestnik Hrvatskog arheološkog društva, 1895., pp. 120-136. http://hrcak.srce.hr/file/94494 [on seals of some Croatian cities and towns]
- Laszowski, Emilij: Prilog k hrvatskoj sfragistici II, Vjesnik Hrvatskog arheološkog društva, Zagreb, NS 5 (1901) : 73 - 86. http://hrcak.srce.hr/file/76236 [more on city seals]
- Laszowski, Emilij: Grbovnice hrvatskih županija, Starine JAZU, XXX, 1902:212-243. http://dizbi.hazu.hr/object/8199 [transcripts of county armorial patents in Latin]
- Laszowski, Emilij: Grbovi Jugoslavije, Kava Hag, Zagreb, [n.d.] (navodi se kao 1932., 1934. ili 1936.) http://www.ngw.nl/arms/literature/albums/hag-yu.pdf [on municipal coats of arms in Yugoslavia]
- Laszowski, Emilij: Stari grbovi zemalja Nezavisne Države Hrvatske, Vjesnik Hrvatskoga arheološkoga društva, nova serija 22-23, 1942-1943, 207-221. http://hrcak.srce.hr/file/76849 [on coats of arms of Croatian lands]
- Lavrenčak, Goran: Krajevni grbi in občinski žigi na današnjem ozemlju Republike Slovenije; najstarejše upodobitve naših krajev (vedute, slike, litografije, fotografije, razglednice…), kratek opis prve omembe trga, mesta ali občine, najstarejši grbi naših krajev (kamniti grbi, pečati, freske, slike …), najstarejši občinski žigi (pečati, žigi, nalepke …), Digitalni arhiv Radovljica, Radovljica, 2016. http://dar-radovljica.si/Uprava/Krajevni%20grbi%20in%20ob%C4%8Dinski%20%C5%BEigi.pdf [on municipal symbols in Slovenia]
- Luetić, Josip: O državnoj zastavi Dubrovačke Republike, Zadar, 1967. [booklet on state flag of Dubrovnik]
- Neubecker, Ottfried (ed.): Flaggenbuch (Flg B.). Bearbeitet und herausgegeben vom Oberkommando der Kriegsmarine, Reichdruckerei, Berlin, 1939 (reprint Mauritius Buch Verlag, Zwickau, 1992.) [on flags used on ships, existing several prevous editions]
- Neubecker, Ottfried: Heraldry - Sources, Symbols and Meaning, Twickenham, 1997. [general introduction to heraldry]
- Oštrić, Goroslav: Monumenta heraldica, Izbor iz heraldičke baštine Primorsko-goranske županije, Pomorski i povijesni muzej Hrvatskog primorja Rijeke, 2002. [on historical and modern coats of arms and some flags in the Rijeka region]
- Otorepec, Božo: Krajevna heraldika na Slovenskem, Kronika, 49(1/2), 2001, 157-170. https://www.dlib.si/?URN=URN:NBN:SI:doc-CJ2A90V9 [on Slovenian municipal herladry]
- Payrat, Armand Noël du (ed.): L'Album des Pavillions Nationaux et des marques Distinctives - National flags and distinctive markings, Service Hidrographique et Oceanographique de la Marine, Brest, 2000. [on flags used on ships, existing several prevous and subsequent editions]
- Peić Čaldarović, Dubravka; Stančić, Nikša: Povijest hrvatskoha grba, Školska knjiga, Zagreb, 2013.
- Pierre, Le Capitaine de Vaisseau (ed.): Album des pavillons nationaux et des marques distinctives des états et des principales organisations internationales, Brest, Recapitulative edition 1995. [one previous edition of the 2000 Album]
- Pušnar, Katarina; Križnič, Martin: Osnove heraldike in istovetnostni simboli slovenskih občin - Dodatek, Lečnik, Ljubljana, 2012. [addendum to the Stanič-Jakopič 2005 book]
- Rimanić, Mirjan: Pazinski grb, Pazin, 2006. [on the history of the coat of arms of Pazin, incl. some other Istrian municipal arms]
- Samardžić, Dragana: Војне заставе Срба до 1981. [Vojne zastave Srba do 1918.], Vojni muzej, Beograd, 1983. [mostly military flasg, incl. history of the state flags etc.]
- Sarajčić, Ivan: Zastave i grbovi Srbije - Teritorijalna veksilologija i heraldika Srbije, web stranice http://www.zastave-grbovi.com od 2007.
- Smith, Whitney: Flags Through the Ages and Across the World, McGraw-Hill, Maidenhead, England, 1975. [encyclopaedic book on flags and vexillology, incl. flags of the world]
- Smith, Whitney: Flags and Arms Across the World, McGraw-Hill, Maidenhead, 1980. [review of flags of the worl, one of the best of the kind]
- Smith, Whitney: Zastave i grbovi svijeta, Globus, Zagreb, 1982. [Croatian of the Flags And Arms Across The World, 1980]
- Stanič, Rinaldo; Jakopič, Tadej: Osnove heraldike in istovetnostni simboli slovenskih občin, Lečnik, Ljubljana, 2005. [on coats of aqrms and flags of Slovenian municipalities]
- Ströhl, Hugo Gerhard: Städte-Wappen von Österreich-Ungarn, Wien, 1904 (reprint Archiv Verlag, 2002). https://austria-forum.org/web-books/stadtewappen1904iicm [on municipal coats of arms in Austia-Hungary]
- Széll Sándor: Városaink neve, címere és lobogója, Budapest, 1941. [on Hungarian municipal seals, coats of arms, and flags, incl. places in occupied 1941 territories, among those Čakovec being the only one in Croatia]
- Šalić, Tomo: Grbovi i zastave Vukovarsko-srijemske županije i njezinih gradova, Godišnjak ogranka Matice Hrvatske Vinkovci za 1995. goexisting several prevous editions]
- Tuđman, Ankica (ed.): Hrvatsko ratno znakovlje - Domovinski rat 1991 - 1992 (1), Piramida 256 - AKD Hrvatski tiskarski zavod, Zagreb, 1994.
- Tuđman, Ankica (ed.): Hrvatsko ratno znakovlje iz Domovinskog rata 1992 - 1994 (2), Agencija za komercijalnu djelatnost, Zagreb, 1995.
- Tuđman, Ankica (ed.): Hrvatsko vojno znakovlje 1994 - 1998 (3), Humanitarna zaklada za djecu Hrvatske, Zagreb, 1999.
- Tuđman, Ankica (ed.): Hrvatske ratne i vojne zastavice (4), Humanitarna zaklada za djecu Hrvatske, Zagreb, 2000.
- Vlahović, Biserka: Povijesne zastave dobrovoljnih vatrogasnih društava Republike Hrvatske (katalog izložbe priređene povodom XIII. međunarodnog natjecanja i XV. međunarodnog natjecanja vatrogasne mladeži, Hrvatsko narodno kazalište, Varaždin, 18. - 24. srpnja 2005.), Gradska vatrogasna zajednica i Varaždinske Toplice, Varaždin, 2005. [booklet on firefighter flags]
- Zalokar, Peter: Slovenija, ali te poznam? Moja dežela, Ljubljana, 1990. [incl. presentation of Slovenian municipal arms, existing several editions in 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, unknown if all include these arms]
- Zmajić, Bartol: Heraldika, sfragistika, genealogija, Školska knjiga, Zagreb, 1971. [heraldry manual]
- Zmajić, Bartol: Heraldika, sfragistika, genealogija, veksilologija, rječnik heraldičkog nazivlja, Golden marketing, Zagreb, 1996. [second enlarged edition of the 1971 manual]
- Banderas municipales de Eslovenia, Banderas, no. 58, marzo 1996. Sociedad Española de Vexilología
- Heraldika bosanskohercegovačkih opština i gradova, Populari institut, 2011. http://grbovi.populari.org/grb_viewlist.php [database, no longer on-line]
- Zastava. U: Pomorska enciklopedija VII, Jugoslavenski leksikografski zavod, Zagreb, 1964. [article on flags in the encyclopedia]
- Galović, Tomislav, Filipović, Emir O.: Prilog bibliografiji radova o heraldici (s posebnim osvrtom na Hrvatsku i Bosnu i Hercegovinu), Arhivski vjesnik, 51, 2008, str. 161-228. http://hrcak.srce.hr/file/46370
- „Ar Banniel“, Bulletin de la Societe bretonne de vexillologie | Kannadig kevarzhe vannielouriezh vreizh, ISSN 1274-5596, Sant Brieg, France, is issued since 1996 with frequency of 3 numbers annually. Cover pages http://drapeauxbretagne.canalblog.com/archives/2008/12/12/2438725.html
- „Banderas“, Boletín de la Sociedad Española de Vexilología, ISSN 0213-0955, Madrid, Spain, is issued since 1979 with frequency of 4 numbers annually. Index of papers http://vexilologia.org/?page_id=503
- „CHF – Heraldinen ja veksillologinen aikakauskirja“, Collegium Heraldicum Fennicum, ISSN 0785-6148, Helsinki, Finland, is issued since 1998 with various numbers issued annually. Archive, partial https://www.kirjaverkko.fi/kirjasarja/chfn-julkaisuja/3545
- „Circulaire“, Académie Internationale D'Héraldique, ISSN , Chennevi`eres, France/Saint-Jean du Gard, France/Ottawa, Ontario, Canada/Herblay, France, is issued since ? with various numbers issued annually. Archive, since 2000 http://aih-1949.com/circulaires.php
- „Conféderation internationale de généalogie et d'héraldique“, Bulletin d'information CIGH, ISSN , Saint Cloud, France, is issued since with various numbers issued annually. Archive, since 2008 http://www.cigh.info/bulletins.html
- „Crux Australis“, The Journal of Flags Australia, ISSN 0814-5008, Sydney, Australia, is issued since 1984 with frequency of 4 numbers annually. Index of papers https://www.flagsaustralia.com.au/CruxPrevious.html
- „Der Flaggenkurier“, Zeitschrift der Deutschen Gesellschaft fűr Flaggenkunde, ISSN 0949-6173, Berlin, Germany, is issued since 1995 with frequency of 2 numbers annually. Archive, partial http://www.flaggenkunde.de/veroeffentlichungen/flaggenkurier.html
- „Der Wappen-Löwe“, Der Wappen-Löve Heraldische Gesselschaft, ISSN 0931-5667, München, Germany, is issued since 1981 with frequency of 1 number annually. Web http://www.wappen-loewe.de/
- „DGF-Info“, Mitteilungsblatt der Deutschen Gesellschaft für Flaggenkunde, ISSN , Berlin, Germany, is issued since 2004 with various numbers issued annually. Archive http://www.flaggenkunde.de/veroeffentlichungen/dgfinfo.html
- „DGF-Nachrichten“, Mitteilungsblatt der Deutschen Gesellschaft für Flaggenkunde, ISSN , Berlin, Germany, is issued since 1996 with various numbers issued annually. Discontinued in 2003. Web http://www.flaggenkunde.de/veroeffentlichungen/dgfnachrichten.htm
- „Estandarte“, Publicación de la Asociación Argentina de Vexilología, ISSN , Buenos Aires, Argentina, is issued since 1991 with frequency of 4 numbers annually. Discontinued in 2016.
- „Флаг – The Flag“, Bjulletin' Russkogo Centra Flagovedeniya i Geral'diki, ISSN , Orenburg, Russia, is issued since 2003 with various numbers issued annually. Archive, since 2004 http://www.vexillographia.ru/flags.htm
- „Flag Data Bank“, Municipal Vexillology, ISSN 1430-9041, Berlin, Germany, is issued since 1994 with frequency of 2 numbers annually. Discontinued in 2001.
- „Flag Research Quarterly – Revuie Trimestrielle de Recherche en Vexillologie“, A Research Publication of the North American Vexillological Association, ISSN pending, Boston, MA, USA, is issued since 2013 with frequency of 4 numbers annually. Archive http://nava.org/flag-research-quarterly/
- „Flaga“, Biuletyn Polskiego Towarzystwa Weksylologicznego, ISSN 1509-2429, Warszaw, Poland, is issued since 1999 with frequency of 4 numbers annually. Archive http://www.weksylologia.pl/biuletyn-PTW.php
- „Flaggen, Wappen und Siegel“, World Vexillological Research Institute, ISSN 0948-3748, Prague, Czech Republic, is issued since 1986 with frequency of 4 numbers annually.
- „Flagmaster“, the Journal of the Flag Institute, ISSN 0142-1271, York, England, is issued since 1978 with frequency of 4 numbers annually. Archive, members only https://www.flaginstitute.org/wp/members-area/flagmaster-archive/
- „Flagscan“, Quarterly Journal of the Canadian Flag Association/L'Association canadienne de Vexillologie, ISSN 0833-1510, Toronto, Canada, is issued since 1986 with frequency of 4 numbers annually.
- „Gaceta de Banderas“, Noticiario de la Sociedad Española de Vexilología & Centre Belgo-Européen d’Études des Drapeaux, ISSN , Ottignies, Belgium, is issued since 1992 with frequency of 8 numbers annually. Index of papers http://vexilologia.org/?page_id=503
- „Genealogicko-heraldický hlas“, Časopis Slovenske genealogicko-heraldicke spoločnosťi, ISSN 1335-0137, Martin, Slovakia, is issued since 1991 with frequency of 2 numbers annually. Archive http://forumhistoriae.sk/-/genealogicko-heraldicky-hlas
- „Heraldika a Genealogie“, Klub pro českou heraldiku a genealogii, ISSN 0232-0304, Prague, Czech Republic, is issued since 1968 with frequency of 4 numbers annually. Index of papers http://dziewunt.wz.cz/kchg/casopisy.htm
- „Heraldisch Tijdschrift“, Periodiek van de Afdeling Heraldiek Nederlandse Genealogische Vereniging, ISSN 1381-6675, Utrecht, The Netherlands, is issued since 1995 with frequency of 4 numbers annually. Index of papers http://www.heraldiek.net/aa-publicaties.htm
- „Heraldisk Tidsskrift“, Societas Heraldica Scandinavica, ISSN 0040-6966, Oslo, Norway, is issued since 1960 with frequency of 2 numbers annually. Index of papers http://heraldik.org/publikationer/heraldisk-tidsskrift/
- „Херолд – Herold“, Bjuletin na B'lgarskoto heraldičesko i veksiloložko obščestvo, ISSN 1313-4809, Sofia, Bulgaria, is issued since 2008 with various numbers issued annually. Discontinued in 2011.
- „Info-FIAV“, Fédération internationale des associations vexillologiques, ISSN 1560-9979, Huston, TX, USA, is issued since 1987 with various numbers issued annually. Archive http://fiav.org/info-fiav/
- „Liehuvat Värit“, Partioheraldikot, ISSN 0357-1432, Espoo, Finland, is issued since 1970 with various numbers issued annually. Archive, partial http://heraldikot.partio.net/
- „Македонски Хералд – Macedonian Herald“, Makedonsko Heraldičko Združenie, ISSN 1857-5544, Skopje, Macedonia, is issued since 2005 with frequency of 1 number annually. Archive http://heraldika.org.mk/macedonian-herald/
- „National Standard“, Bulletin of the Vexillological Association of the State of Texas, ISSN 2165-0101, Huston, TX, USA, is issued since 2012 with frequency of 2 numbers annually. Archive http://www.texflags.org/bulletin4.htm
- „NAVA News“, The Quarterly Newsletter of the North American Vexillological Association, ISSN 1053-3338, Trenton, NJ, USA, is issued since 1967 with frequency of 4 numbers annually. Archive http://nava.org/nava-news/
- „New England Journal of Vexillology“, the New England Vexillological Association, ISSN , Washington, ME, USA, is issued since 1995 with various numbers issued annually. Archive http://www.vexman.net/neva/
- „Newsletter“, College of Arms, ISSN , London, England, is issued since 2004 with frequency of 4 numbers annually. Archive http://www.college-of-arms.gov.uk/news-grants/newsletter
- „Nordisk Flaggkontakt“, Nordisk Flaggselskap, ISSN 0109-7539, Bergen, Norway, is issued since 1984 with frequency of 2 numbers annually. Discontinued in 2011.
- „Raven: A Journal of Vexillology“, North American Vexillological Association, ISSN 1071-0043, Boston, MA, USA, is issued since 1994 with frequency of 1 number annually. Archive https://nava.org/raven-a-journal-of-vexillology/
- „SAVA Newsletter“, South African Vexillological Association, ISSN , Pinegowrie, South Africa, is issued since 1991 with frequency of 3 numbers annually. Index of papers, partial http://www.savaflags.org.za/publications-news-links-sava-flags.php
- „The Flag Bulletin“, Flag Research Center, ISSN 0015-3370, Winchester, MA, USA, is issued since 1961 with frequency of 6 numbers annually.
- „The Flag Heritage Foundation Monograph and Translation Series“, ISSN , Winchester, MA, USA, is issued since 2010 with various numbers issued annually. Archive http://www.flagheritagefoundation.org/fhf-publications/
- „Vexi.info“, Zpravodaj Střediska vexilologických informací, ISSN , Hradec Kralove, Czech Republic, is issued since 1994 with frequency of 6 numbers annually. Archive http://www.vexi.info/vexiinfo/index.php
- „Vexilla Italica“, Centro Italiano Studi Vessillologici, ISSN , Lucca, Italy, is issued since 1973 with frequency of 2 numbers annually. Index of papers, since 2001 http://www.cisv.it/giallo/vexitcont.html
- „Vexilla Notizie“, Bolletino informativo riservato ai Soci Centro Italiano Studi Vessillologici, ISSN , Milan, Italy, is issued since 2002 with frequency of 2 numbers annually. Index of papers http://www.cisv.it/giallo/vexillanot.html
- „Vexillacta“, Périodique international édited par CIVIC Centre d'information vexillologique, ISSN , Verviers, Belgium, is issued since 1998 with frequency of 4 numbers annually. Discontinued in 2004.
- „Vexilloid Tabloid“, Portland Flag Association Publication, ISSN , Portland, OR, USA, is issued since 1999 with various numbers issued annually. Archive https://portlandflag.org/vexilloid-tabloid/
- „Vexillology Ireland: Brateolaíocht Éireann (VIBE) Newsletter“, Genealogical Society of Ireland, ISSN 2009-6437, Dublin, Ireland, is issued since 2013 with various numbers issued annually. Archive, partial https://flagsireland.wordpress.com/vibe-newsletter/
- „Vexil'Òc“ („Vexill'òc“), Revista occitana de vexilologia, ISSN 2117-9166, , France, is issued since 1997 with frequency of 1 number annually. Archive, partial http://vexiloc.tripod.com/
- „Vexilokontakt“, the yearbook of the Czech Vexillological Society, ISSN , Prague, Czech Republic, is issued since 1997 with frequency of 1 number annually. Index of papers http://www.vexilologie.cz/cvs/vexilokontakt/index.php
- „Vexilolog“, Soukromý vexilologický zpravodaj, ISSN , Prague, Czech Republic, is issued since 2001 with frequency of 4 numbers annually. Archive http://www.vexilologie.cz/vexilolo/index.php
- „Vexilologický lexikon“, Střediska vexilologických informací, ISSN , Hradec Kralove, Czech Republic, is issued since 1997 with various numbers issued annually. Index of papers https://www.vexi.info/vexilexi/index.php
- „Vexilologie“, Zpravodaj České Vexilologické Společnosti, ISSN 1211-2615, Prague, Czech Republic, is issued since 1972 with frequency of 4 numbers annually. Archive http://www.vexilologie.cz/cvs/vexilologie/index.php
- „Vlag!“, Stichting Vlaggenparade Rotterdam, Stichting Vlaggenmuseum Nederland, Nederlandse Vereniging voor Vlaggenkunde, ISSN 1877-167X, Rotterdam, The Netherlands, is issued since 2008 with various numbers issued annually. Archive, partial; Index of papers http://vlaggenkunde.nl/tijdschrift-vlag/
- „Weksyliana“, Biuletyn informacyjny rynku flagowo - heraldycznego, ISSN 1505-3784, Warshaw, Poland, is issued since 1997 with various numbers issued annually. Discontinued in 2002. Archive, partial; Index of papers http://www.weksylologia.pl/biuletyn-PTW.php
- „Zászlómúzeumi tájékoztató – Bulletin of the Flag Museum“, Balogh Gyűjtemány – Balogh Collection, ISSN , Budapest, Hungary, is issued since 1996 with frequency of 3 numbers annually.
- „Знак – Znak“, Visnik Ukrains'kogo geral'dičnogo tovaristva, ISSN 1998-1651, L'viv, Ukraine, is issued since 1993 with frequency of 3 numbers annually. Archive http://uht.org.ua/ua/articles/znak/
- „Grb i zastava“, Glasnik Hrvatskog grboslovnog i zastavoslovnog društva | Bulletin of the Croatian Heraldic & Vexillological Association, ISSN 1846-3827, Zagreb, Hrvatska, is issued since 2006 with frequency of 2 numbers annually. Index of papers http://hgzd.hr/grb-i-zastava/
- „Vitezović“, mjesečnik za genealogiju, biografiju, heraldiku i sfragistiku, ISSN 2459-9301, Zagreb, Hrvatska, is issued since 1903 with frequency of 12 numbers annually. Discontinued in 1905.
- „Glasnik heraldike: grboslovlja, rodoslovlja, životopisa i pečatoslovlja“ (Courrier héraldique: blasonique, généalogique, biographique et sphragistique), ISSN , Zagreb, Hrvatska, is issued since 1937 with frequency of 12 numbers annually. Discontinued in 1938.
- „Glasnik Hrvatskog plemićkog zbora“, Glasilo Hrvatskoga plemićkoga zbora za popularizaciju znanosti s recenzijom, ISSN 1845-9463, Zagreb, Hrvatska, is issued since 1998 with frequency of 1 number annually. Archive http://plemstvo.hr/Publikacije/Glasnik
- „Hrvatski vojnik“, Prvi hrvatski vonostručni magazin, ISSN 1333-9036/1330-500X, Zagreb, Hrvatska, is issued since 1991 with frequency of 26 numbers annually. Archive http://hrvatski-vojnik.hr/magazin
- „Vojna povijest“, Magazin za vojnu povijest, ISSN 1848-0280, Zagreb, Hrvatska, is issued since ? with frequency of ? numbers annually. Archive, partial https://vojnapovijest.vecernji.hr/
- „Rodoslovlje“, časopis Hrvatskog rodoslovnog društva "Pavao Riter Vitezović", ISSN 1846-1328, Zagreb, Hrvatska, is issued since 2006 with frequency of 1 numbers annually. Discontinued in 2006. Cover page http://www.rodoslovlje.hr/o-radu-drustva/glasilo-drustva/rodoslovlje-1-broj
- „Glasilo Hrvatskog rodoslovnog društva "Pavao Riter Vitezović"“, ISSN , Zagreb, Hrvatska, is issued since 2005 with frequency of 1 broj godišnje. Discontinued in 2009. Archive http://www.rodoslovlje.hr/teme/o-radu-drustva/glasilo-drustva
I want to thank for the help in making of these pages to all the people that unselfishly provided information,
suggestions and designs of flags. Especially, I want to thank to, in no particular order:
- Giuseppe Bottasini, founder of the 'Flags of the World', Italy
- Armand du Payrat, Service Hydrographique et Océanographice de la Marine, France
- Jaume Ollé, Electronical Bulletin of Vexillology from Catalonia, Catalonia
- Mark Sensen, Flags of 19th and 20th centuries, the Netherlands
- Dirk Schövnberger, Germany
- Pascal Vagnat, France
- Friancois Velde, France
- Uroš Žižmund, Slovenia
- Pascal Gross, Switzerland
- Marcus Schmöger, Germany
- Marko Vitez, Croatia
- Tomislav Šipek, Croatia
- Ivan Grbac, Argentina
- Tomislav Todorović, Serbia
Mail any reaction, suggestion, correction, addition, contribution or other "-tion" to
Copyright © 1996-2017 by Zeljko Heimer. All rights reserved.