Page created: 7th June 2004|
Last updated: 15th September 2004
This page is under construction! Links and images might be missing!
Data presented on this page may be entirely incorrect!
The FAME is site devoted to systematic and scientific study of flags and coats of arms. Such symbols often bear strong political and other messages. Inclusion of those symbols here does not mean that the author support or approve the ideas they may stand for.
The "Austrian Lloyd Trieste" was founded in 1833 by Karl Ludwig Freiherr von Bruck (1798-1860), on the model of the British Lloyd. In 1836, the company opened a department "Steam Navigation" beside the early department "Trade & Sea Reports". Therefore, 1836 is considered to be the birth year of the shipping company.
In 1842, Ferdinand I (1793-1875), Emperor of Austria (1835-1848) allowed the ships of the company to fly the postal flag and its officers and crew to wear the Austrian uniform.
The "First Danubian Steam-Navigation Company" ceded in 1844 to the "Austrian Lloyd" the line to Constantinople and Smyrna. The "Austrian Lloyd" was also in charge of the mail transport between England and India via Trieste and Alexandria. In 1849, the company inaugurated its flagship "Vorwärts". The name of the ship (lit., steaming ahead) became the motto of the company.
The Suez Canal was opened in 1869, allowing the "Austrian Lloyd" to launch lines to Bombay (1869), Colombo (1879), Singapore and Hong-Kong (1880). In 1886, the company operated 86 ships. Until 1881 the company was privileged for coastal lines. In period 1972-1891 named Austro-Hungarian Lloyd.
The "Austrian lines" started operating leisure cruises in 1907 and moved its headquarters from Trieste to Vienna the same year. The inauguration of the line to Shangai in 1912 was the last important fact of the early history of the company, which was suppressed in 1918. After the War given to Italy where it worked under name Lloyd Triestino.
There was no Austrian deep-sea shipping company between the two World Wars. The "Austrian Lloyd" was recreated under the name of "Oesterreichischer Lloyd Ship Management" in 1951. Its first fully-owned ship, MS Arlberg, was launched in 1978. The company has now offices in Austria, Germany, Cyprus, Malta, Greece and Lebanon.
The house flag of the "Österreichischer Lloyd Ship Management" is blue with the company emblem in the middle. The emblem consists of an anchor topped with the Imperial crown, teh cypher 'LA' and a ribbon. Old postcards advertising cruises seem to indicate that the "Austrian Lloyd" already used a similar house flag.
The house flag of the DDSG is the red-white-red triband with the blue inscription "DDSG" in the white stripe and a yellow cabled anchor though the red stripes. The company, established in 1929 in Vienna, was granted right to fly the postal jack and masthead pennant in 1849, and continued the practice until the end of the Empire. The modern company maintains the ships and Danube and still uses the same flag.